Tuesday, November 25, 2008


A southeast breeze was blowing all day long, and we headed out for an outing about
1:30 pm, getting out before the marina got too shallow. With full main and jib
we headed otu into the central bay and headed northeast on port tack close reach, getting pulled northward by the still strong ebb current.

The city was locked in a hazy fog!

A seaplane flew low overhead.

We lost the breeze and drifted back with the current toward the west, finally getting a bit of breeze and sailed toward the shore across the current as this sailboat motorsailed east.

Another sailboat was dousing her main while motoring east.

A commercial vessel that looks like an old WW2 LST steamed west.

The MetLife blimp flew low overhead.

The pier 39 flags were fluttering lightly as we managed to sail against the current for a while.

A tug dropped one of the dredging barges off in front of the pier.

That small sailboat was now motoring west past us.

A Hunter sailboat was motorsailing eastward..

...with 5 crew aboard.

I turned on the engine and motored eastward, hoping to pick up a breeze eventually. and I watched as that tug psshed the barge toward pier 35.

She positioned her inside pier 35 so the crane could dump more dredging inside it.

The crane was now getting ready for more dredging.

We drifted westward and finally picked up a breeze and sailed westward for a while
as the sun tried to peek through the clouds.

A sailboat motorsailed past!

She sailed toward the sun reflection on the water.

Some fishing vessels now started heading home to Fisherman's Wharf, like HOG HEAVEN here.

Another sailboat motorsailed eastward.

We were just drifting around in front of Aquatic Park, and we watched as the Coast Guard fast boat followed a fishing vessel with Coasties aboard doing a safety inspection.

The gate was locked in hazy fog.

The fishing boat SCOMAS steamed past as we began to make some headway eastward in a light breeze.

The sailboat 'got wind?' motored past, answering her own question.

Than CG fast baot finally left Fisherman's Wharf and blasted westward. I thought she was probably heading for home port near Fort Baker, but later heard on the VHF that she hailed another vessel for a safelty inspecdtion. Glad it wasn't me. I haven't been boarded for well over 10 years.

A KLM jet flew low overhead.

Some colorful clouds and sky appeared in the north.

Another fishing vessel, the CAPY JACK steamed past.

We were beating eastward in light wind as some sunset color began to develop in the southwest sky...

...gradually deepening in intensity-- BEAUTIFUL!.

...eventually beginning to fade.

Some of the sunset color persisted as we sailed toward the lee of Pier 44.

City lights were brigtening as darkness fell.

The last sunset color we saw was behind the antiaircraft gun on the jeremiah Obrien.

We sailed past that ship before tacking to the northwest again. We sailed a while and then turned on the engine, furled the jib and motored toward home port while readying fenders and lines and eventually dousing the main.

City lights were brigth as we motored into the marina.

After tying up and having a snack, we did a city walk and enjoyed the holiday lights.

As we approached the Pier 23 Cafe, we spotted this amphibious car with current boat registratoin. I wonder if she actually goes out on the water sometimes. Would be interesting to see her on the bay on soem flat water day.

No comments: