Tuesday, April 29, 2008


Reid joined us for the first time on ANTICIPATION [thanks to sfsailing.com].

We left port about 2pm, raising single reefed main and putting out double reefed jib before heaing out into the bay and sailing to the west-- the flags on the end of pier 39 flapping in a breeze of about 20 knots.

The race boat ENERGY was heading downwind, passing in front of us, and looking good!

Over in the northeast, some distance away, a lovely schooner was also sailing westward on the strong breeze.

As we began to approach Alcatraz, we spotted a kitesurfer heading for the cityfront just south of the island-- very unusual to see kite surfers this far east on the bay.

After approaching Alcatraz, we tacked toward the lee of pier 45, and after passing the east pier 39 marina seawall, we tacked to the west again, soon being fairly close to this center cockpit cutter-rigged sailboat-- one that we have seen on the bay before and wondered why anyone would want to sail with such an enclosed cockpit and not feel the great breeze on your body.

This sailboat passed to starboard, heading downwind and looking good!

PRIVATEER was heading home and looking good!

The wind kept freshening and soon it was blowing about 25 knots, and I was tired of fighting it after being out on the bay for a long time the day before, so we fell off the wind to sail toward Raccoon Straits, and also watching this gorgeous schooner heading across the bay on starboard tack and looking GREAT!

We had strong winds until we were about half-way up the weather shore of Angel Island, passing ANTIDOTE as she sailed southeastward past the island.

Off to port, a Ranger 26 was passing us and looking really bad, with major wrinkles in the luff of her jib and sailing with too much canvas so that the rail and the foot of the jib are in the water.

As we continued sailing toward the west mouth of Raccoon Straits, this smaller sailboat passed to starboard looking good with a large crew aboard. Wonder how they fared when they arrived in the much stronger winds further south.

A kayak with two people paddling also passed to starboard.

Off to port, this sailboat was heading southward and looking real good!

Ahead of us, these two sailboats were tacking through the straits and passing the Corinthian Yacht Club.

When we arrived in the west mouth of the straits, we found ourselves in an area with very light breeze, so we were ghosting along, as was this lovely Catalina-- looking good in her ghosting state.

Down in the northeast end of the straits, a number of sailboats were attempting to make progress to the southwest in light winds and with flood current resisting them.

This Islander was attempting to ghost out of the wind hole...

... as was this Catalina...

... and this Valiant.

This lovely Beneteau was ghosting toward the mouth of the straits with some flood current assist.

Further to the south, Charisma, a small Santana was making some good headway in a good breeze.

Behind us, a lovely sailboat was heading down the straits-- she seemed like she was a Hans Christian boat, but could be wrong about that.

A beautiful yawl named GOLANI was making headway up the straits before encountering the wind hole that slowed her down.

We eventually managed to sail out of the wind hole and got into some good winds just south of the mouth of Richardson Bay, and were then making some good headway to the west, along with GOLANI, who was looking GREAT! with a happy crew aboard.

Off to starboard a couple of small sailboats were in Richardson Bay-- one of them trying to sail eastward in the light breeze.

Mt. Tam was towering over Richardson Bay, and looking splendid!

With some judicious tacking, we managed to stay in the breeze and make headway toward the shore of Sausalito, watching this Cal 34 heading south along the shore.

We tacked to the southeast after approaching Sausalito, and soon arrived in a large windhole which kept us prisoner for a half hour or so before we managed to sail/drift out of the hole and pick up a good breeze. The breeze was still strong in the central bay, and we were over-canvassed with full jib and reefed main, so we had to fall off and reef the jib down to a small size before continuing on toward home port.

Initially, we sailed too far off the wind and had to head up to try to sail past the weather side buoy west of Alcatraz, but the flood current added to our slide slip in the strong wind made it impossible to clear the buoy, so we had to tack back to the west for a bit before tacking again to the east, managing this time to clear the buoy and continue on toward home port.

As we sailed toward home, this ketch flying jibs and mizzen sails was stuggling to tack and get sails trimmed and seemed to be in a bit of trouble getting off the wind and picking up speed.

She eventually tacked back to the west again, making a beautiful picture with Alcatraz in the background enjoying the strong late afternoon sunshine.

We sailed past the cruise ship still tied up at pier 35, pulling in the reefed jib and then coming into the wind to drop the main sail. After tying up the main, we began motoring toward home port around pier 35, readying the boat for landing as we motored along. We motored into port and landed fine, having enjoyed a few hours on the bay, even if the winds were a bit too strong for comfort.

No comments: